As many of you who know me IRL have likely surmised, and to confirm those of you who know me virtually, things have not been great on this side of the screen. It’s nothing to worry about, just stress levels in the consistently-higher-than-usual category. Being a person is really HARD sometimes. Plus, it doesn’t help that I’ve been binging some pretty depressing stuff lately – looking at you ’13 Reasons Why’ and ‘Big Little Lies’ – and have been reading a lot of non-fiction (mostly about this). I’ve also been trying to practice some self-care and have been learning a lot of *new* things about myself. We already know when I have nothing good to say and don’t want to talk about myself, I say nothing. I’ve been lost in my own thoughts and as I have mentioned many times, these feelings lead me to shut down from pretty much everything. I get “over myself” really quickly because I feel like I have all the tools to “fix” whatever might be broken inside of me. Exhibit A: I spend so much time in my own mind – analyzing all the things. Exhibit B: I don’t like drawing any attention to myself. I become a less-effervescent person which then makes me feel bad so I hide out even more. Talking about silly things when my life is basically consumed with serious always feels disingenuous to both you and me. So if you’re still out there: I’m sorry. Someday, maybe when I’m out of the woods I’m in, we can talk about it.
Until then, let me talk about some of the more non-serious happenings in a little internets roundup of things I’m really feeling right now.
- I am currently feeling the Bulletproof way of life. I’m curious about bio-hacking myself mostly because I do feel like good health starts at the cellular level. There is a prevalence of stimuli in our world today and I like to buck the trend of our just-take-a-pill society. Pretty soon I’m going to take the plunge and rock my own Bulletproof coffee. First, I need to get through the book.
- In a similar vein as the above, I got both myself and my gorgeous sister some of these Mala prayer beads. It’s something physical to channel my intention to. The Malas represent certain qualities based on the stone they are made with. My sister’s is made of Volcanic Stone meant to channel strength and clarity; and mine is made of Labradorite and Malaysian jade meant to channel our spiritual counterparts.
- Trying to be an adult and get on a budget. Ugh.
- Oh! I became a Rodan + Fields consultant because I believe in the power of good skincare. And I’m obsessed with skincare so that says a lot. If you’re equally obsessed, we should chat.
- You guys. The Marco Polo app is amaze. It helps me stay connected to my family without the hassle of having to hang on the phone with FaceTime. It’s like if FT and texting (my favorite) had a baby, it would be Marco Polo. The videos stay in a thread like texting so I can go back and watch videos of Avery on replay.
- Lastly, podcasts. Almost as much variety as television right now. I devoured S-Town and man was it DARK but it made me feel things. Also, I’m going through withdrawal from Accused, Undisclosed S1 & S2, Up & Vanished (now that it’s mostly “solved”)… but true crime is really something that keeps me engaged and able to listen and still get my work done.
Thanks for reading and be well, friends.