The following is a list of things I didn’t expect to feel/see/happen while on the Whole30 (or as I like to call it, Paleo on steroids).
1. My skin actually is clear and glowing – and it’s obvious to other people.
2. I have a new appreciation for leftovers. In a prior life, leftovers were my arch-nemesis. Not so much anymore.
3. I totally CRASH at 9:30pm and sleep like a baby till about 5 a.m.
4. They weren’t kidding when they said it cuts down on the bloat. I am not wearing NEAR as many layers as I usually do to hide in my clothes.
5. I miss beer more than I thought I would… and I’m not even a super drinker. I just realized that some circumstances call for a nice, cool, refreshing beer and I have to go the sparkling water route.
6. I’ve grown rather fond of red and yellow peppers (not raw though – gross).
7. A lot of people are doing it. Mostly a niche of adorable bloggers that enjoy running; I aspire to be like them.
8. I realized that a lot of things I ate were merely out of convenience. I haven’t cooked like this for myself in about four years. Bread was a filler and I didn’t eat nearly enough veggies.
9. I have actually completely changed how I eat and how I look at food. Testament to that statement was the food day we had here at work recently. My sense of smell was in overdrive, and I was whiffing all the chocolate, mint, cookies and other delicious sugary goodies. While I wanted them so bad, I really didn’t. My memory told me I did but my body was plenty happy from the fruit and protein I’d already had. I have eaten these past 19 days for fuel and it’s felt great!
10. I feel amazing. Truly. The scale hasn’t reflected that so much but I have felt more energized, more focused, less moody – I’ve even felt stronger physically. I didn’t believe the testimonials (cause at the time it seemed kind of fad-ish) but after battling headaches for the first few days, it’s been energy central since. My clothes, you guys – my clothes, fit so much better.
11. I love meat.
12. I am starting to like plain tea (“plain” as in no milk and no sugar).
13. This is looking like a real-life lifestyle change, guys.